Tuesday, May 17, 2016

IMPORTANT NOTE TO THE READER:  

All of the postings in this blog are from:  "Book 2 For God's Pilgrims."  (This can be ordered through Blurg.com)

Anyway the following remaining postings deal with a nonconformist preacher who lived in the 1600's.

Because I feel that it is helpful to be informed about any individual you are reading about, I have included quite a bit of background information concerning him so you would be more informed about what he and others had to contend with during his time period in the United Kingdom of England.

May Christ bless your heart as you continue reading the last few postings of the above mentioned book!

**************************************** 

         "Must I be driven from my books?
             From house and goods, and dearest friends?
         One of thy sweet and gracious looks,
             For more than this will make amends!
         As for my house it was my tent,
             While there I waited on thy flock;
         That work is done, that time is spent,
             There neither was my home nor stock.
         Would I in all my journey have
             Still the same inn and furniture?
         Or ease and pleasant dwellings crave,
             Forgetting what thy saints endure?
         My Lord hath taught me how to want
             A place wherein to put my head;
         While He is mine, I'll be content
             To beg or lack my daily bread.
         Heaven is my roof, earth is my floor,
             Thy love can keep me dry and warm,
         Christ and thy bounty are my store;
             Thy angels guard me from all harm.
         As for my friends, they are not lost;
             The several vessels of thy fleet,
         Though parted now, by tempests tossed,
             Shall safely in the haven meet.''
                                         Richard Baxter, 1662

****************************************

     NOTE:  Below is information on Joseph Alleine, 1634-1668, who was an English nonconformist preacher.  (There is a brief history and writings of Richard Baxter, another English nonconformist pastor, earlier in this book and his poem on the opposite page is a worthy tribute to all pastors who have suffered in all ages.)
     Also, please note that Richard Alleine, who was ousted from his church in 1662 and whose writings are also included in this book, was a kinsman of Joseph Alleine.

****************************************

     On the 26th of May, 1663, Joseph Alleine was committed to Ilchester gaol on the charge of causing a riotous and seditious assembly.  He was tried on the 24th of August, and though nothing could be proved against him, except that he had sung a psalm and instructed his family in his own house, other persons being present, he was found guilty, sentenced to pay a fine of one hundred marks, and in default of payment he  was sent to prison, where he remained a year within three days.  After his release he resumed his former occupations, and on the 10th of July, 1665, he was again imprisoned.  These imprisonments, during which  he suffered much severe treatment, broke down his health, and he died in the year 1668, at the age of about thirty-five. 

(From Newton's Sermon at the Funeral of Mr. Joseph Alleine, and an Account of his Life, published by the Revs. George Newton, Richard Alleine, and Richard Fairclough."  Palmer's Nonconformist Memorial, vol. iii, pp. 208-212.

No comments:

Post a Comment