Wednesday, February 24, 2016


    Great God, indulge my humble claim;
    Be thou my hope, my joy, my rest;
    The glories that compose thy name
    Stand all engaged to make me blest.

    Thou great and good, thou just and wise,
    Thou art my Father and my God;
    And I am thine by sacred ties,
    Thy son, thy servant bought with blood.

    With heart and eye, and lifted hands,
    For Thee I long, to thee I look,
    As travelers in thirsty lands
    Pant for the cooling water-brook.

    E'en life itself, without thy love,
    No lasting pleasure can afford;
    Yea, 'twould a tiresome burden prove,
    If I were banished from thee, Lord.

    I'll lift my hands, I'll raise my voice,
    While I have breath to pray or praise:
    This work shall make my heart rejoice,
    And fill the remnant of thy days.
                                                 Isaac Watts

****************************************

    Sovereign of all the worlds on high,
    Allow my humble claim;
    Nor, while a worm would raise its head,
    Disdain a Father's name.

    My Father, God! how sweet the sound!
    How tender, and how dear!
    Not all the harmony of heaven
    Could so delight the ear.

    Come, sacred Spirit, seal the name
    On my expanding heart;
    And show that in Jehovah's grace
    I share a filial part.

    Cheer'd by a signal so divine,
    Unwavering I believe;
    And Abba, Father, humbly cry,
    Nor can the sign deceive.
                                                Philip Doddridge

No comments:

Post a Comment