Sunday, February 21, 2016

How do Thy mercies lose me round!
Forever be Thy name adored;
I blush in all things to abound;
The servant is above his Lord.

Inured to poverty and pain,
A suffering life my Master led;
The Son of God, the Son of man,
He had not where to lay His head.

But lo! a place He hath prepared
For me, whom watchful angels keep;
Yea, He Himself becomes my guard;
He smooths my bed, and gives me sleep.

Jesus protects; my fears, be gone;
What can the Rock of ages move?
Safe in thy arms I lay me down,
Thine everlasting arms of love.

While Thou art intimately nigh,
Who, who shall violate my rest?
Sin, earth, and hell I now defy:
I lean upon my Saviour’s breast.

I rest beneath the Almighty’s shade;
My griefs expire, my troubles cease;
Thou, Lord, on whom my soul is stayed,
Wilt keep me still in perfect peace.
                Charles Wesley


Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.  1 John 3:1

.....think ye this nothing, that he hath brought you out of the kingdom of darkness, and called you to a marvellous light?  And think ye this nothing, that he has given you all things, that he hath adopted thee freely, that he justifies and sanctifies thee freely?  Think ye these things nothing?  Yea, whether believe ye is justification or the kingdom of heaven greater?  Whether is it a greater matter to glorify a just man or to justify a sinner?  Or, whether is it a greater wonder to bring a sinner to heaven, or to bring the Son of God from heaven?  But I leave this.
     In how many troubles have ye called upon him, and he hath heard you?  How many times has there been weeping in the evening but joy has come in the morning?.....
.....Consider, that the Father had not a greater love token to give thee than his own Son, whom he sent from heaven to take thy flesh and thy blood, and to be clad with the sackcloth of thy human nature, and to be subject to all thy infirmities, except sin, and to expose himself to all sorts of shame and ignominy, and to die the cursed death of the cross for thee that thou mightest live with him eternally; so what greater token of love could be given to thee, he has given to thee his only begotten Son, and in his Son he gives himself to thee; and the Son, by the mediation of his blood, he has bought the Holy Spirit to thee:  what wantest thou then that is either in heaven or earth?  Thou hast the whole Trinity to be thine, thou hast the angels to be thy servants, thou hast heaven for thy heritage.....Again, is not this great mercy, that God calls some of you sweetly, and opens your heart at one instant, as he did to Lydia; other some he calls more violently, as he did Paul, because he knows every man's disposition, and what is best for him; some have need to be far cast down, and other some have not need; and therefore he deals with every man as he thinks expedient; some he handles gently, and other some more roughly, and all because he would not let them perish; for he will set them at his own table, and he will feed them with his own flesh and with his own blood, and he will give them to eat the dainties of his own house, and clothe them with the long white robe of his own righteousness; he will give them to drink of the water of life, that is with him in abundance:  how then should ye love him?.....
                                                                                                                                         John Welch

No comments:

Post a Comment