Tuesday, March 8, 2016

     A number of young men were sitting together in a country store one evening, telling what they did not believe, and what they were not afraid to do.  Finally, the leader in the group remarked that so far as he was concerned, he would be willing at any time to sign away all his interest in Christ for a five dollar bill.
     "What did I understand you to say?" asked an old farmer, who happened to be in the store, and who had overheard the remark.
     "I said that for five dollars I would sign away all my interest in Christ, and so I will."
     The old farmer, who had learned to know the human heart pretty well, drew out his leathern wallet, took therefrom a five dollar bill, and put it in the storekeeper's hand.  Then calling for ink and paper, he said:  "My young friend, if you will just step to the desk now, and write as I dictate, the money is yours."
     The young man took the pen, and began:  "In the presence of these witnesses, I, A____B____ , for the sum of five dollars received, do now, once for all, and for ever, sign away all my interest"—then he dropped the pen, and with a forced smile said:  ''I take it back, I was only fooling."
     That young man did not dare to sign that paper.  Why?  He had an accusing conscience.  He knew that there was a God.  He believed in religion.  He meant to be a Christian some time.  And so do you, reader. Notwithstanding your apparent indifference, your trifling conduct, your boasting speech, you would not to-day for ten thousand dollars sign away, if such a thing were possible, your interest in Jesus Christ.  You do not desire or expect to lose heaven.
                                                                                                                The Congregationalist (American)

No comments:

Post a Comment