Sunday, January 10, 2016

O love divine, how sweet Thou art!
When shall I find my longing heart
All taken up by Thee?
I thirst, and faint, and die, to prove
The greatness of redeeming love,
The love of Christ to me.

Stronger His love than death or hell;
Its riches are unsearchable;
The first-born sons of light
Desire in vain its depths to see;
They cannot reach the mystery;
The length and breadth and height.

God only knows the love of God:
Oh, that it now were shed abroad
In this poor stony heart!
For love I sigh, for love I pine;
This only portion, Lord, be mine,
Be mine this better part.

Oh, that I could forever sit
With Mary at the Master’s feet!
Be this my happy choice;
My only care, delight, and bliss,
My joy, my heaven on earth, be this,
To hear the Bridegroom’s voice.

Thy only love do I require,
Nothing in earth beneath desire,
Nothing in heaven above;
Let earth and heaven and all things go;
Give me Thy only love to know,
Give me Thy only love.
                                  Charles Wesley


I will abundantly bless her provision:  I will satisfy her poor with bread.  Psalms 132:15

Christ is a satisfying good.  A wooden loaf, a silver loaf, a golden loaf will not satisfy a hungry man; the man must have bread.  The dainties and dignities of the world, the grandeur and glory of the world, the plenty and prosperity of the world, the puff and popularity of the world, will not satisfy a soul sailing by the gates of hell, and crying out of the depths; it must be a Christ.  “Children, or I die,” was the cry of the woman; a Christ, or I die--a Christ, or I am damned, is the doleful ditty and doleful dialect of a despairing or desponding soul.  “He that loveth silver shall not be satisfied therewith; nor he that loveth abundance with increase:” Eccles. 5:10.  It is a good observation that the world is round, but the heart of man is triangular.  Now, all the globe of the world will not fill the triangular heart of man.  What of the world and in the world can give quietness, when Christ, the Sun of Righteousness, goes down upon the soul?  The heart is a three-square, and nothing but a trinity in unity and a unity in trinity will satisfy this.  Not riches, nor relations, nor barns, nor bags, will satisfy a convinced and deserted soul.  This person can say concerning his bags as a great person upon a sick, if not a dying, bed, did concerning his bags,--Away, and away for ever.  Though there be bag upon bag, yet they are altogether insignificant in a dying hour; these bags, they are but as so many ciphers before a figure.  This is the cry of despairing and desponding souls:  “O satisfy us early with thy mercy; that we may rejoice and be glad all our days:” Ps. 90:14.    
                                                                                                                       Richard Mayhew, 1679

No comments:

Post a Comment