Monday, January 4, 2016

Oh my soul, what means this sadness?
Wherefore art thou thus cast down?
Let thy griefs be turn'd to gladness,
Bid thy restless fears be gone;
Look to Jesus,
And rejoice in his dear name.

What though Satan's strong temptations
Vex and tease thee, day by day;
And thy sinful inclinations
Often fill thee with dismay;
Thou shalt conquer,
Through the Lamb's redeeming blood.

Though ten thousand ills beset,
From without and from within;
Jesus saith, he'll ne'er forget thee,
But will save from hell and sin;
He is faithful
To perform his gracious word.

Though distresses now attend thee,
And thou tread'st the thorny road;
His right hand shall still defend thee,
Soon he'll bring thee home to God;
Therefore praise him,
Praise the great Redeemer's name.

O that I could now adore him,
Like the heavenly host above,
Who for ever bow before him,
And unceasing sing his love!
Happy songsters!
When shall I your chorus join?
                              Fawcett


But I will hope continually, and will yet praise thee more and more.  Psalms 71:14

.....Behold, O Lord, I have prayed to thee, and I am comforted.  Hope has thus taught me.  I am glad; because in thee I have trusted, I shall never be confounded.  Sorrow returned, equipped with vast array, fortified at all points with swords and spears, and with great clamour beleaguered my city.  The din of his horsemen terrified me and standing at the gates, he commanded silence, and thus loudly spake:  “Behold the man who trusted in God; who said, I shall not be confounded for ever; who took hope for a consoler.”  And, when he observed me blushing at these words, he drew nearer, and said:  “Where are the promises which were thy trust?  Where the consolation?  Where the deliverance?  What have thy tears availed thee?  What help have thy prayers brought thee from heaven?  Thou hast cried, and no one has answered; thou has wept, and who have been moved with pity for thee?  Thou hast called upon thy God, and he has been silent.  Thou hast prayed to him, and he has hidden himself from thee:  there has come no voice nor sound. . . . Arise, therefore, and flee for help to man, that he may free thee from thy prison.”  With these words, there arose such a din of arms in the camp such a clamour of men and sounding of trumpets that I could hardly keep up heart; and, unless my beloved Hope had brought me help, Sorrow would have seized and carried me off in chains to his own place.  Comes Hope to me, gleaming in divine brightness, and, smiling, said:  “O soldier of Christ, how is thy heart?  What is this struggle in thy mind?”  At these words, I began to blush.  “Fear not,” she said, “Evil shall not capture thee; thou shalt never perish.  Behold, I am with thee, to deliver thee.  Dost thou not know what is written (Psalm 12), ‘The fool hath said in his heart, there is no God.’  As one of the foolish women hath this Sorrow spoken; never shall he be able to persuade thee that there is no God, or that God does not exercise a providence over all.”
                                                                                                                                 Girolamo Savonarola

No comments:

Post a Comment