Wednesday, December 2, 2015

The Lord liveth:  and blessed be my rock; and let the God of my salvation be exalted.”  Let us unite our hearts in this song for a close of our praises.  Honours die, pleasures die, the world dies; but “The Lord liveth.”  My flesh is as sand; my fleshly life, strength, glory, is as a word written on sand; but “blessed be my ROCK.”  Those are for a moment; this stands for ever.  The curse shall devour those; everlasting blessings on the head of  this.  Let outward salvations vanish; let the saved be crucified; let the “God” of our salvations “be exalted.”  This Lord is my rock; this God is my salvation.
                                                                                                                          Peter Sterry, 1649

      My spirit looks to God alone;
      My rock and refuge is his throne:
      In all my fears, in all my straits,
      My soul on his salvation waits.

      Trust him, ye saints, in all your ways,
      Pour out your hearts before his face:
      When helpers fail, and foes invade,
      God is our all-sufficient aid.

      False are the men of high degree,
      The baser sort are vanity;
      Laid in the balance both appear
      Light as a puff of empty air.

      Make not increasing gold your trust,
      Nor set your hearts on glittering dust;
      Why will you grasp the fleeting smoke,
      And not believe what God hath spoke!

      Once has his awful voice declar'd,
      Once and again my ears have heard,
      "All power is his eternal due:
      He must be fear'd and trusted too."

      For sovereign power reigns not alone,
      Grace is a partner of the throne:
      Thy grace and justice, mighty Lord,
      Shall well divide our last reward.
                                    Isaac Watts

No comments:

Post a Comment