Monday, December 14, 2015

    To God I made my sorrows known,
    From God I sought relief;
    In long complaints before his throne
    I pour'd out all my grief.

    My soul was overwhelm'd with woes,
    My heart began to break;
    My God, who all my burden knows,
    He knows the way I take.

    On every side I cast mine eye,   
    And found my helpers gone,
    While friends and strangers pass'd me by,
    Neglected and unknown.

    Then did I raise a louder cry,
    And call'd thy mercy near,
    "Thou art my portion when I die,
    Be thou my refuge here."

    Lord, I am brought exceeding low,
    Now let thine ear attend,
    And make my foes who vex me know
    I've an almighty Friend.

    From my sad prison set me free,
    Then shall I praise thy name,
    And holy men shall join with me
    Thy Kindness to proclaim.
                                                   Isaac Watts


When my spirit was overwhelmed within me, then thou knewest my path.....Psalms 142:3

Although we as Christians possess the full solution of the problem of suffering, yet we frequently find ourselves in the position of Job, in regard to this or that particular affliction.  There are sorrows so far reaching, so universal; there are losses so absolute, and blows so terrible and inexplicable, that it seems for a time as if we were wrapped in thickest gloom, and as if the secret of the Lord had not been revealed.  Why was this man stricken, and that man spared?  Why was such and such a being, in whom so many hopes centred, or who had already realised so many pleasant expectations, why was he withdrawn?  Why was that other person left, a useless encumbrance to earth?  Why was that voice, which found echo in so many hearts, suddenly silenced?  Why have I been smitten?  Why have I lost that which rendered my moral life beautiful and useful?  Often-times the soul seems lost for awhile in thoughts which overwhelm it, it loses its foothold, it tumbles about helplessly amid the deep waters of affliction.  It seems as if all were over.  Do not believe it.  Remember Job; you cannot go to greater lengths of despair than he, and yet God had pity on him.  There is much comfort for you in this example of indescribable suffering, exasperated to the highest degree, and yet pardoned and consoled.  Cling to the memory of this blessed fact as to a cable of deliverance, a board or a plank amidst the shipwreck.  And then remember that affliction forms part of God’s plan, and that he also asks you to manifest ready and absolute confidence in him.
                                                                                                                     E. De Pressense, D. D.

No comments:

Post a Comment